Lighthouses are a great subject for photography. This is another image of the Baily Lighthouse in Howth near Dublin, Ireland. The first lighthouse there was built in the 17th century. It was located high on the cliff and the problem was that the light was not always seen in fog. A new lighthouse was completed in 1814. The top of the new tower was only 41 meters (134 ft) above sea level. Nearby, a nice house for the lighthouse keeper was also built.
In the 1970s, the Baily Lighthouse became a training facility for lighthouse keepers. Modern ships don’t rely so much on light for navigation. In 1996, the lighthouse operations were automated. The last keeper left in 1997, but an attendant still takes care of this beautiful Irish lighthouse.